Mombasa was once a heavily contested city, sitting as it does on an important international trade route. With Portuguese and Omani kingdoms fighting over the rule of the island city, there is plenty to learn on your visit here. With cultures mixing over the centuries, you will discover different types of:
As you embark on your tour of the city.
Along with a museum to give the beautiful city some historical context, there are old, winding streets to stroll down, ancient markets to bargain at, iconic landmarks to take in, and local handicrafts to appreciate. Mombasa is a city filled with history yet still thriving through to modernity.
Your private tour of Mombasa will be expertly led by our English-speaking Kenyan tour guide. They will help you discover new foods and old worlds, and learn something of Kenyan and Swahili culture. This is an ideal tour to add to your visit to Diani or add on to the beginning or end of your safari.
- Its a 1 day tour in Mombasa, Kenya.
- Safari Starts from Mombasa.
- Best Time to Visit:- All Year Round.
- Destinations:- Fort Jesus Museum, Mombasa Old Town & Heller Park
- Type of transport: - Road using a comfortable 4×4 Tour van/4×4 Jeep (Land Cruiser)
- Tour Type-Private
Trip Extensions available on request.
Day 1 - Kenya Coast - Fort Jesus Museum, Mombasa Old Town & Heller Park
We will pick you up from your hotel or resort in Mombasa or Diani and embark on your exploration of this historic town. Most of the city of Mombasa sits on a coral island in the Indian ocean, an ideal location for a fort to protect trading routes. You will visit the Fort Jesus Museum, in a building constructed by the Portuguese and added to by the Omanis and British. Here you can learn about the culture of trade and tragedies that colonialism wrought over the area.
Once you’ve got your bearings on local history, it’s time to see the multicultural influence at work, with a visit to Mombasa Old Town and the spice market. Your guide will show you some of the old buildings built by the occupiers and show you around the market filled with the scents of both African and Indian cooking. Breathe in the aromas and barter with the stallholders for a truly Kenyan experience.
Other points of interest in Mombasa that you will visit include the landmark elephant tusks. These were installed to celebrate a visit of Queen Elizabeth II and are now a mainstay of the island’s primary thoroughfare – perfect for some selfies. For a shopping experience that also encourages local handicraft works, we will take a final stop at the Akamba wood carving factory where you can watch the process of carving before browsing the wares for sale.
Prices & Seasons 2023
- All Transfers
- Quality accommodation in tented camp / hotels / lodges
- All park entrance fees, government taxes, and levies as per the itinerary
- All meals and drinking water during the tour
- Insightful professional local driver/guides
- Complimentary Mineral Drinking water
- Personalized private service
- Passports and visa applications and processing
- International flights and taxes
- Travel insurance
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tips and Gratuity for driver/guide
- Entrance fee for activities noted as optional